Sunday, July 12, 2015

A few of my favorite things

I'm truly trying to make this little blog bonafide and useful; more than just a place to park my thoughts and pictures. 

So, there's this blogger, Blue Cereal Education, and this blogger has issued a challenge. Blog content. Simple as that. 

I'll start with parking more pictures and include my thoughts. Ha!

I'll get better at this.

5th grade Writing



The objective of the this lesson, "Snowmen at Night" was for the students to create a character that would fit with the story. They had to write a 3-5 paragraph creative narrative and include artwork. They used a story organizer and a rubric.


Students were tasked with creating a descriptive paragraph describing a chocolate kiss. They had to include as many sensory details as possible. We used an organizer and spent a lot of time discussing before writing. 

6th Grade Writing



Every Fall we wrote paragraphs with a fall or Halloween theme. They peer edited their work and then we built the pumpkin patch together. 



6th graders loved "Love That Dog" and we covered so many standards with the study of that book. Our lessons focused on figurative language and writing poetry. When they wrote the poetry above, I had them focus on telling a big story with very few words. They wrote in the style of William Carlos Williams and of course we studied some of his work. 


The Snowman lesson, and the Kiss lesson were both very successful and furthered the content we were working on in 5th grade. I'll definitely use them again this year. 

I'm not sure I'll use the other two lessons. The pumpkin patch is fun, but really time intensive and we could use our time better. I don't have the "Love that Dog" books anymore, so I won't be teaching it. 











No comments: