Monday, June 29, 2015

Why I Teach - FOR THE SUMMERS OFF!!!

It amazes me, still, that people outside of education still believe we teach for the summers off, the 8-3 workday, the "fun" of it, and the easy money.

Sigh...


Summers off are the only reason I teach!

Ummm... said no teacher ever.

So, really, why do I teach?




I teach because I get to see immediate results of my effort. There is nothing better than that "Aha" moment on a student's face. NOTHING! One year, when I taught 6th grade self-contained, I was teaching the order of operations. This wasn't easy for some of my kids to grasp and one was having a tough time. We went over again, piece by piece, in whole group one morning. This kid suddenly bolted from his seat and said, "I get it! I get it!" He was so excited he turned to his classmates an d told them, "It's like a puzzle!" Best. Aha. Moment. Ever!


I teach because I have a passion for writing and I know how to make it fun and interesting for children. Everyone has a story and I love guiding my students through that process of finding that story, developing it, and sharing it. 



I teach because young people inspire me to be better, do better, work harder, and love deeper. Teaching has changed me into a better person. Plain and simple...



No comments: