Friday, October 18, 2013

Reboot

I've thought a lot about whether blogging was something I really wanted to continue doing. I have decided it's important. As a teacher, I need to connect and hopefully inspire.

I was inspired today by Jason Stephenson. His blog, Room 149, is definitely worth a visit. I love it when I find teachers who are right where I am in classroom management and teaching style. They always show me ways to teach better, manage better, and understand these incredible creatures known as 8th graders.

This year, so far, has been crammed with growth and change. I feel like I am teaching at a new school. We have two new new administrators and a slew of new teachers. The new principals are open and honest, they challenge us and are 100% committed to our kids and positive change at our schools. The new teachers are fresh and incredibly motivated to learn and grow.

I am mentoring two teachers this year; one a first year and the other a student. It's humbling and awe inspiring to watch them blossom and inspire these kids. I am reminded each and every day how difficult this job is as I watch them navigate the complexities of a teaching career. They are both head-shakingly amazing.


This is the cover I remember.
We are finishing up "The Outsiders" in room C-3 and the students absolutely adore the novel. Who doesn't? I must have read that book 20 to 30 times during my teen years. 

I hadn't picked it up since high school and the first sentence, "When I stepped out into the bright sunlight from the darkenss of the movie house, I had only two things on my mind: Paul
Newman and a ride home." drew me back into a world I had loved and lived a long time ago. 

So, I've missed you. What have you been up to lately?

1 comment:

J. Flores said...

If it hasn't been created yet, a "Teaching Isn't For Wimps" shirt needs to be designed pronto!