Sunday, July 1, 2012

One of my favorite things...

On the last day of school I let my kids write on my boards.


This is a huge deal because in my classroom, my boards are mine and no one else's. 


Other than practice work for the lesson, my kids are not allowed to write on my boards. The reason is because at my last school I had chalk boards and they are so messy and dirty. 


At this school I have a chalk board that is peeling and rough. This school  was built in the 1920's and I think I might have an original board. 


I can't afford to replace it, so last year my husband and I installed white shower board.


I know it won't last very long, shower board tend to "ghost" easily. Also, dry erase markers aren't cheap! 


So, for just one day, I let them write their little hands off. I always take pictures and I always treasure the words that they write. 

2 comments:

Erika said...

I'm totally selfish with my whiteboards, too. The markers are expensive, and the colors other than black erase incompletely. The last remnants of chalk board are being removed from my school this summer ... gonna miss that!

Andy Bowman said...

I love this post! I teach 7th and 8th grade choir and students are ALWAYS trying to write on the two white boards.

I always feel like my white boards are taken advantage of from the students. I think a "write-anything-on-the-last-day-of-school" activity is a great idea!