Saturday, December 31, 2011

I'm still here!

I apologize for not keeping up with this blog very well. My "promises" for the new year include more attention to writing and sharing schooly stuff here. 

Speaking of writing, I took a leap of faith and joined a writer's group. I went to my first meeting a few weeks ago and felt like I had met a bunch of old friends. It was amazing! We talked and ate and even had a writing exercise. It was fun!

The group, Red Dirt Writers, is having a poetry contest this month and I entered two poems. One of them I included in this blog post and the other is this one:

Love





Dononvan Devereaux loves blowing the


Pencil shavings off the counter


After they collect around the sharpener.





Kaidence Carter loves sharpening


Her flowered pencils


And Dononvan Devereaux





Gisselle Goosby loves borrowing


Sheldon Smith’s pencils and


Giving them to Kaidence.





Sheldon Smith loves reading books,


Taking AR tests and collecting pencils


From the librarian as prizes. 


 

3 comments:

A Teacher's Treasure said...

Glad you're back!

Happy New Year!

❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
A Teacher's Treasure

farmlady said...

They say you should write what you know. This poem is surely an example of that. I love it. I can see these kids in your poem. I can remember being one of these children a long time ago.
Glad you're writing again. Enjoy the group.
Happy New Year!

Dawn said...

Writing Group! I wish there was something like that around here.
Came through here via Steve's blog....
Happy New year to you!!
(and I like your title..."teaching isn't for wimps":) With you on that one!)