Saturday, October 29, 2011

Blogging from the mountains...

For those who don't know, I spend four days in the fall each year studying at Quartz Mountain. I attend the Oklahoma Fall Arts Institute and this year I chose to study poetry. It has been an incredible week end. I have been surrounded my incredible talent and breath taking art. The lodge is comfortable and rustic.






Here's a little sample of my work this week:

Survival

If the stars weren’t calling to me to come look,
If the coyotes would stop yipping their songs to the moon,
Damn moon -
I could crawl into the tangle of sheets and down and
Slide next to you.
I could slip away into nothingness.
Sometimes sleep isn’t necessary for survival.
I actually learned in the army ways to survive
In the most difficult times,
In the coldest environments,
The harshest terrains,
Without sustenance or sleep.

8 comments:

Oranoo said...

I can't wait for you to come home! And I love the pictures and the poem!

Territory Mom said...

Just beautiful, your words and photos.

Whosyergurl said...

Joan,
Love the photographs and the poem!
Cheryl

Intense Guy said...

Dittos Territory Mom and Whosyergurl...

A Teacher's Treasure said...

seems like a great time! I could really use a gateway like that right now... :)

Also, just wanted to stop by and share my new GIVEAWAY with you :)
You can WIN a $20 Gift Card for Amazon and shop till you drop :)

Come by & enter to WIN!
http://www.ateacherstreasure.com/2011/11/treasured-giveaway-20-amazon-gift-card.html

Happy Holidays!

❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
A Teacher's Treasure

A Teacher's Treasure said...

Just found your blog :) I'm your newest follower! Looking forward to reading your future posts. Stop by and say hi :)

❤ Mor Zrihen ❤
A Teacher's Treasure

Deb said...

Your photos and words are absolutely beautiful! Enjoy your holiday!!!

TAFE said...

I really like your pics. I hope you enjoyed yourself.