Sunday, July 24, 2011

Work to do...

As you may or may not know, I am moving from the upper elementary to the junior high this year. My old building was not old, it was newer and fresh and though I complained about the ratty carpet, I liked the storage space and the amenities.


My new building was built in the 1920's and I adore the building, but I just wasn't prepared for the condition of my room. Friday I was able to work for a few hours. The following pictures are SOOC. 

Very old desk. It has been around for a many, many years. I do like the painted, cement floors.

One-piece desk are good.

Not one bulletin board to be found. Writing teachers NEED bulletin boards!

This is a strange wall. Behind that square of painted wood to the left of the TV, was a door. I think I will cover it with paper, frame it with trim and hang older daughter's artwork.

All the electricity is on the outside of the walls, running through little square tunnels (I have no idea what you call them!) and you cannot put hardly anything flush with wall.

This sink, what do I do? It leaks, has leaked for years and won't be fixed. I would love to paint it, but it is wet. I actually think the sink is cool, but not the rust. Help!

The room is tiny, no space for a reading nook, or spaces fro writers to conference with each other. I have a storage unit to empty into this room. That will be interesting!

Tuesday I leave for three days of training. Remember, one day will be a ropes course. Pray for me!

7 comments:

Ed Elder said...

Kinda looks like the old Shumway Jr. High in Vancouver.

Territory Mom said...

I know you'll make this room wonderful. As for the sink, maybe limeaway. I bet everything has been used in it. I'll be praying for you!

Teachinfourth said...

Whoa...looks just like the type of classroom from one of those movies where the teacher changes the world.

You go, girl! The world is waiting.

Elaine said...

That room certainly looks like quite a challenge!

Could you put some plants in the sink? It would hide some of the rust.

Tracy P. said...

Hmm, love the plant idea!

Seventh grade! I taught for 15 years before I had kids. I mostly taught 2nd with some other interesting assignments sprinkled in. Big kids scared me. Now that my oldest is going to middle school, I don't find them so scary. They are kinda cute. Have fun!

Kelly L said...

I have seen pictures of your previous class and I know you can make this class beautiful too.. No doubt... Tough transition from elementary to junior high - Junior high kids are a completely different animal - ha.. Good luck with that - My soon to be 8th grader has a new attitude that I never saw coming...
Love to you
Kelly

Out on the prairie said...

Amazing what one can do with after being in a romm for a bit.i worked in one school where they carpeted to covwer the asbestos tiles. I had tiles and they told me not to scrunch the floor mish You can easily restore that sink. Pay to fix the leak and lots of elbow grease.