Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A sudden ending to a long year...

I did not know yesterday would my last day with these kids. I had today off; burning up that last personal day. Yesterday I was glad I would not be at school today because the weather folks were throwing around words like "Major tornado outbreak", "long track, damaging tornadoes", etc... I hoped the weather would wait until I knew all my kids were home. It did. But then all hell broke loose. 

We spent time in our storm cellar, but the tornado tracked west and north of us. We emerged unscathed. Not so for my school. 

This tree was planted in memory of a student. It sits outside the 6th grade wing.

We have several portables that are used for the band students.

Softball field used by the high school. Those are bleachers slammed up against the fence.

Band portable moved off its foundation.


Leaves forced into the siding.


This portable ended up in the middle of the parking lot.

Behind our school is the bus barn and behind that is the high school. Next to the bus barn, which is to the left, was the high school weight room. It used to be where all those people are standing.
I can't show you the roof damage that my assistant principal said is right over my room. I did not get pictures of all the downed trees. 

School is done now. Staff and faculty report tomorrow, but the kids are done. Our entire district is shut down.  I should be glad, but I keep thinking "But I wasn't done!"


8 comments:

Ramblin Mama said...

Thank God you and the others were not in these buildings! With so much devastation from the weather this week, we need to hear news like this - where all were clear of the damage. I hope all of your students fared as well at home.

Whosyergurl said...

The important thing is that everyone is safe. BUT it would have been nice to have gotten to finish the school year and to say good-bye! We had high winds last night and a lot of trees down on campus yesterday- right after work. Driving home I saw a transformer blow and two traffic lights swinging and blowing by the cord. This morning couldn't get into my usual parking lot because of a tree that was down. (I am in southern IN.)...scary stuff. I'm glad you are ok! Cheryl

Okie Book Woman said...

So sorry your school was damaged, but I'm glad no one was injured. Now THAT'S a dramatic way to end a school year!

Have a great summer!

farmlady said...

My God! You are so lucky. We watch this on the news and are amazed at the damage these storms can do.
The tornado damage in Joplin was incredible. I think I will stay in "Earthquake country".
Glad you're Ok. How does the school district get paid if it closes down like this? What a mess.
I wish the weather would quiet down for all of you.
Take care...

Intense Guy said...

Oh my goodness. Like the others, I'm so very glad you and your kids weren't in those buildings when all heck broke loose... and with school over - even if you think prematurely - there is a summer to get things put back together again before the new school year.

Those portables might not be the best idea in places that get "extreme weather".

That corgi :) said...

glad you are okay, Joan. Wow, what damage though to the school/propery! I can see how you weren't done, you didn't have that closure of saying goodbye to your students, getting the hugs, watching in anticipation for that final bell to ring, etc.

will the school be fixed by next school year?

betty

Teachinfourth said...

I'm so glad that nobody was in the school - having a bunch of kids there would have been frightening for them.

I'm glad you're okay, too.

Lyndsey said...

Good to hear that you are all okay and safe. How strange to have a school year come to an unexpected end like that. Perfect example on why we should live each day to it's fullest!