Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Through their eyes...


Last year, I received a grant for a couple of digital cameras to use in the classroom. My English students have been taking pictures around the school and using them as writing prompts.  


I'm impressed with their work. The boy who took this picture wrote about the lack of good, clean water in other countries and how we take it for granted. He has been labeled with a disability and supposedly has behavior issues.


I downloaded hundreds of pictures, printed dozens of copy sheets, and went through a lot of ink printing out their final selections.


I have taped their finished work up in the hall for all to see and admire. At any given time I will see a student, another teacher, a district administrator, a janitor, reading the writings and scanning the photos.


They are so proud of their work.


They exceeded my expectations.


 The doors to creativity, imagination, the world, have been opened to them. All because I brought a couple of cheap Kodak digital cameras into the classroom.

4 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Opening the doors of possibility…

I have thought about doing something like this before, and had a book we made called, "What it Looks Like."

It was pretty cool.

I need to do it again.

Intense Guy said...

They really got some beautiful shots...

...and its funny how an intriguing photograph can bring forth some real power to ... just some simple words.

Cheeseboy said...

Nicely done. It's stuff like this that makes teaching so worthwhile.

Lindsay Peak said...

I love this idea! I will be using this for sure! I also teach yearbook and I think this is a great idea for journalism.