Friday, October 1, 2010

Trees and forests...

They say you must see the forest, and not focus on the trees. My trees, those 7-8 kids I cannot control, cannot reach, have defined my forest. This week I decided not to focus on them; I will nurture the forest. I have done all I can, right now, for the trees. I let them go...


Wild Child remains a challenge, but has responded to some intervention. Shortstuff, Blues Eyes, and Freckles, well, any given day is a crapshoot. Then there is motormouth. He. Never. Stops. Talking. Ever! Yesterday he interrupted our moment of silence. He made it impossible for me to teach our English lesson. This morning he interrupted the daily announcements I was making. During a  morning assembly he called another teacher a b*tch. I'm planting that tree in the hall so my forest can grow.
(Are you sick of this metaphor yet?) 

One more thing...

My older daughter's science teacher donated a cute little guy to our classroom that looks just like this one.


His name is Forest.

7 comments:

Jessica S. said...

Wow, love the metaphor. You are so awesome and I feel for the rest of the forest that has to be shadowed by the "infected" trees.
I have 1 tree but I still feel sorry for him because in 2nd grade you never know. I also have several "trees" that are trying to grow strong because their home forests are the infected ones.
I ♥ teaching.

Cheeseboy said...

I liked the metaphor.

I can't stomach a class pet yet. Perhaps you could talk me into it.

Ginger Snaps said...

AAAHAHAHAHA I love the pet's name. Very fitting. That's funny.

Tara said...

It seems as though you have quite the class this year - this was my afternoon class last year - I did learn that you can't reach every single child every single year, which was a great lesson to learn.

Intense Guy said...

I like the metaphor! I hope you avoid the "gump" part of it though!

Motormouth needs to understand the subtleties of the freedom of speech thing a little better..

Such a cute little mousey!

Tracy said...

While I am sure it is tempting to see those few trees it is better for the whole forest if they are considered first. Good luck!

Teachinfourth said...

Let's hear it for forests...