Sunday, September 19, 2010

I'm listening...

Someone, Something, is trying to get my attention...

Wild Child, the boy who responds only to me, who bites, melts down, and cannot seem to stay in school for an entire week, is also the same child who brought me roses.

I collect Sonic Tot Toys, and last week he brought me one.


The one he brought me was not clean like this one. It was grubby and stained, like Wild Child. I brought it home and ran it through the wash. Good as new. It sits on my desk, not among the others I have lined up on the bookshelf.

Yesterday I was walking through the parking lot of the grocery store and out of the corner of my eye I saw I was about to be intercepted. I saw a boy, running as fast as he could, arms flying and feet pounding the pavement. It was Wild Child. He was all smiles, gave me a huge hug and said he would see me on Monday. Off he ran to mom, calling "Mom, it's my teacher! See mom, it's my teacher."

I'm listening...

9 comments:

Teachinfourth said...

Okay, this post was hope…

Thank you.

ali said...

I love this. :)

Intense Guy said...

Awww.... sounds like someone has a crush on you big time.

:)

Elaine said...

Lovely. What a heart-warming story.

Cheeseboy said...

This story ruled! I love moments like this as a teacher. Almost makes you feel like a movie star.

Sigurborg aka Sig said...

and that's why we teach! Love it.

Ninny said...

Brought a tear to my eye. In spite of all his problems, you are his constant, his possibly only stable adult and he loves you for it. Every look, glance or spoken word you give him hits a mark somewhere with him. It may be a long year for you, but what a difference you are making in this young man's life.

Liz

Ginger Snaps said...

SOOO sweet! That has to make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside. I ran into one of my students outside of school for the first time last week and he is adorable.

Okie Book Woman said...

I'm just now reading this, and I'm hoping that your relationship with this little guy has continued to improve. You do indeed make a difference.