Friday, September 17, 2010

The endless week...

The fun from earlier in the week continued! Wild-Child, who bit a student, threw furniture in ISS, and had to be picked up from school by mom, actually had a good day yesterday. But today, he never made it to my classroom. He started a fight and mom was called. 

Freckles ( another of my 8 challenges) tried to argue with me all day yesterday. We called mom several times over his behavior and he got two write ups. 

This morning I discovered my three baskets with pencils, pencil sharpeners, and erasers were all empty. Parts of the sharpeners were found, with the blades taken out of them. Nice...

Then there is Blue Eyes. His 5th grade teacher told me he'd be in jail in just a few years. How's that for believing in the future?! Don't tell me that kind of crap when I come to you for advice about a child. Oh well... Blue Eyes responds to me. He wants to please me. He has had several good days. Then today, as he was leaving campus to walk home, he got in a fight. *sigh*

Last thing... I have Shortstuff's mom's number on speed dial. I think she is getting tired of hearing from me. He got kicked out of reading class today. I had to ask him to leave my English class for a short time too because as I was teaching he was tapping and refused to stop.

One of my readers commented that not much teaching can be going on. He could be right, but thankfully, I have really good classes (minus the troublemakers) and we are getting things done. The troublemakers spend  a lot of time in the hall and office. I spend every plan time on the phone or filling out discipline reports. So, at home I grade and spend a lot of time in the classroom on the weekend trying to get things done. I dream at night of solutions to these challenges. But I am lost...


6 comments:

Cheeseboy said...

Oh boy, the worst that my first graders has done this year so far was steal an eraser.

Although they ALL need to go to the bathroom ALL the time.

Joan said...

I inadvertently deleted this comment from a blogger named Elaine. I have been getting a lot of spam and I seem to go right to that "delete" button without thinking. Sorry Elaine!

"I'm glad the week got a bit better for you, but it still sounds like it was very hard work. I know what you mean about spending lots of time at the weekend on school things - that happens to me and I'm lucky not to have to deal with all the challenges that you have, so it must be so much worse for you. "

Steph said...

I had a bunch like that last year. They were rough as 6th graders, nightmares as 7th graders and now they're in 8th grade continuing their reign of terror. I know exactly how you feel and I feel for you.

Sherlock said...

Just found your blog via RA Journeys. I love your postings! I used to teach in public schools and your experiences sound oh so familiar! Glad to find your blog.

Teachinfourth said...

I remember a student like 'blue eyes' that another teacher told me would end up in jail…it was sad.

Intense Guy said...

I hope you took no offense to that comment about "not much teaching" - I know you are doing your best and want the absolute best for these kids and I'm sure the kids that listen are learning -

Your "I dream at night of solutions to these challenges" confirms that.

What I meant by my comment was you listed things that happened during the week and you didn't list "I taught and they learned". :)

I hope they haven't learned how much damage the blades from pencil sharpeners can do... yikes!