Thursday, July 29, 2010

Grade level meeting

Today was our grade level meeting and there were some disappointments and some surprises. 

I was surprised by how well my team seemed to meld. There are five of us, but one was sick and the other on vacation. We know those two gals well and know they will like the work we did and the decisions we made. One of the teachers I worked with today has just moved up to our grade. I know her from site meetings and really like her. The other gal moved from a new site and I did not know her at all. We really came together as a team and I am excited to work with these teachers! 

I've said before that I will teach English. The other team has an English teacher and it was my hope the we could collaborate. That is not going to happen. He is not happy about being assigned English and has no desire to enhance the curriculum. I brought with me a pacing calendar I had made and lots, and lots of ideas for writing and novel studies. I never got the chance to share any of it with him. He made it clear he was not going to deviate from the book at all. So, I'm disappointed that I won't be able to collaborate with him, but that is OK. I am a really good English teacher and I will collaborate with my team for ideas and integration.

I'm ready to get started!

7 comments:

Kevin Hodgson said...

That is disappointing, particularly since it seemed like you were so hopeful for collaboration and sharing. I suppose it will be one set of students being challenged in creative ways and another set ... maybe not so much?
Good luck
Kevin

ms-teacher said...

A teacher who is unwilling to collaborate or deviate from the text probably shouldn't be a teacher. At least you have a good team that you'll be working with! (I just ended that sentence with a preposition - something I loathe!)

Java said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! Its nice to meet you! I'm now following!! :)

Cheeseboy said...

Wow, I almost have a whole month before I get started again.

6 people on a team is a lot. It's good that you all get along.

It seems like I haven't stopped by in a while. I apologize.

Teachinfourth said...

We had our first team meeting today, too. It was a long day, and I was glad when I got to come home. Now I just need to go in and get the rest of my classroom ready and start home visits. Tomorrow will be a busy day as well!

I hope your school year goes smoothly and that it's a lot of fun.

Joan said...

Thanks for the replies. =)

Teachin4th ~ I'm jealous you get to visit your kids and that you get in your room early. This year we won't get into our rooms until after the 9th and we never get our class list until Meet the Teacher night.

Intense Guy said...

I've always thought any team with more than three people will always, always, have one troublemaking stick-in-the-mud.

Sounds like a certain male English teacher ought to think about retiring.