Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dale Chihuly

Phenomenal glass artist, Dale Chihuly, has become an obsession of my class. 


We read about the science of glass in our National Geographic Extreme Explorer magazine. If you teach elementary kids, Nat Geo is a fantastic resource and it costs just $4 for the 8-9 issue subscription. I modified this lesson plan from Dick Blick by using a hair dryer to soften transparency film after the kids cut out their shape. 


They used acrylic paints and created some cool designs.


6 comments:

Kathy said...

That looks awesome!

Jill said...

This looks like a really fun project for kids!

Joel said...

Very cool! My son has been fascinated by glass lately, we'll give it a try.
Great blog!

bun2bon said...

I am totally stealing this lesson plan. Nice work!

Lyn said...

What thickness did you purchase? I love the lesson plan but the hair dryer is so much easier than hot water!

Joan said...

Hi Lyn,

I have no idea what thickness. I used just regular transparency film that you would use on an overhead projector. I usually bought the type that you could run through printer, if that helps.