Saturday, March 13, 2010

The poetry of 6th graders

They never cease to amaze me. Sixth graders write the most poignant poetry. Especially my boys. 


We just completed a novel study of "Love That Dog" and the poetry writing that I integrate into the study. The first poet mentioned in the book is William Carlos Williams and his poem that we read is "The Red Wheelbarrow." 


I have the students write several of their own "so much depends..." poems and I type up their best and hang it on the wall. 


In the book, the main character's teacher does the same for his first poem. 


She types it on blue paper and hangs it on a yellow board.


At the end of the study they write their own "Love That..." poem inspired by Walter Dean Myers and make their own book cover. 


This is last year's wall, but it is similar to what we did this year.

8 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

Thank your for sharing these. They did a lovely job. I would always be amazed over what my fifth-graders wrote.

Here's mine:

The Classroom

so much depends
upon

a dedicated
teacher

inspiring
students

with passion
and knowledge

who in turn
inspire.

Joan said...

Theresa that is wonderful!

Cathryn said...

That's just wonderful! Thanks for brightening my day!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Okie Book Woman said...

I love how you've used that book to teach poetry, Joan. I really like Love That Dog, myself.

Kelly L said...

My daughter is finishing up her 6th grade year and I amazed at the major difference between 5th grade to 6th. Not only is she several inches taller - her writing and thought process is giving me a glimpse of the woman she will be one day...
I have to give a hand - I think being a teacher to 6th grade girls with all those crazy hormones has got to be tough... Cheers to you my friend!
Love,
Kelly

ali said...

i'm a middle school teacher in training! (2 years of school left!) this is so inspiring! :) thanks for posting. i love your blog!

Joan said...

ali ~ I think it is wonderful you are reading teacher blogs. It will really help you understand the trenches, the joys, and the challenges.

Thank you for your comment and good luck!