Monday, January 18, 2010

Sparta vs. Athens! and a few other things...


We had a busy week! We are still studying ancient Greece in Social Studies. It can take so long to get through a unit because of afternoon interruptions, like assemblies, counselor classes, etc... 



Anyway, Friday the students held a mock debate arguing over which city-state was better. Sparta was very well prepared and did present much better. I really liked the Athenian's acrostic. But they both did a very good job. I made a video of the debate and hopefully today I can get it edited to show the kids tomorrow. I had never listened to myself as a teacher before and it was interesting. During the debate I did have to remind kids to quiet down, redirect some students, etc... I always think I sound so mean but when I played back the video I was shocked. I don't sound mean at all! I sound like a pretty nice teacher trying to gently redirect!


It was what I call a colorful week. Those little strips are pulled for misbehavior. If that behavior chart is all green on Thursday afternoon then I bring donuts on Friday. No donuts this week. 

Reading goals are set for the next nine weeks. Last time only five kids made their goal. Hopefully I will have more at the reward pizza lunch in March. 

4 comments:

Cathryn said...

WOW! Give me college level courses to teach any day! You do so much for your students! This is absolutely fantastic! Thank you Joan for caring enough to make a difference! I'll see that difference at my level. Seriously!

Joan said...

Thanks Cathryn. =) I hope someday we get to specialize and move from self-contained to a middle-school concept. I would love to focus on just one subject!

Kathy said...

I love your ideas and everything looks so cool. VEry nice!

Kelly L said...

I think incentives are so important - very impressed.

Love to you.
kelly