Thursday, December 31, 2009

Goodnight '09

It's Thursday and in just three days I will have to return to the classroom. I am nowhere near that "zone". I need to get there. Getting there also means I need to adjust and start somewhere other than where I left off. I do not like where I've been the last few months. There have been some good moments and I think my teaching has been very good, but it needs to be better. I want it to be better.

Despite the data-driven methods we are forced into using, I will regain the passion I began with. I have to. Because, if I do not, then it is time to get out. I have some ideas. I've mulled a few things over. I think tomorrow I will venture to school, enter my room alone, in the cold and the silence, and have a conversation with myself about my goals, methods, desires, and passion for this vocation.

I love that every January and again in August, I get to begin, again...

7 comments:

Theresa Milstein said...

I'm sure your students will need some time to get back into the swing of things as well.

These standardized tests and "data driven methods" force teachers to work even harder to make their classes exciting and their students engaged. The fact that you're making the effort means that you still have passion for the job. I hope you have a good rest of the school year.

Kathy said...

It is difficult at times...to say the least. I know the three teachers in our family struggle at times as well. Our children are so lucky to have teachers like you that actually care. Have a wonderful year!

halpey1 said...

I stumbled on your blog and love the name. :)

Cathryn said...

I, too, must rethink strategy to teach my students--not to the tests--but to learn. That's my goal this semester. I congratulate you working to instill the love of learning over and above teaching to the standardized tests. Good Luck! Let me know if your strategies work!

Joan said...

Thank you all for the comments. I spent some time in the classroom and I feel ready to return. =)

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

January...a new beginning for teachers! Thanks for the reminder!

Urban School Teacher said...

This is an interesting post that will strike a chord with teachers everywhere at this time of year. I am nowhere near ready to go back which is unfortunate cos I will be there on Monday whether I like it or not!

ps: Enter the competition on my blog for the chance to win $5,000.