Thursday, December 10, 2009

Field Trip

Our district has cut all field trips but I got mine in just before the cut. I'm so glad too. We went to the Mabee-Gerrer Museum in Shawnee, OK. It was awesome!


The museum is small, but just right for a field trip. Everything on display had a real high "WOW!" factor and my kids were blown away. I forgot my Nikon, but had the handy-dandy iphone. So please excuse the crappy photo quality.


Cuneiform writing ~ We read about this in our first civilizations unit.




Sarcophagus ~ A real one! The kids were so thrilled. But this was the big hit....



This is Tutu. A mummy in Oklahoma? Who knew?! The museum calls itself "Oklahoma's best kept secret" and it is. But I think the secret needs to be told. I am going back!

The docents were wonderful and even sent with me a huge tub full of posters, videos, lesson plans, books, and a game for me to use for the next few weeks. I'm so glad we got to go. I'm go glad I chose a true educational field trip. The trend for field trips seems to be moving towards frivolous things, fun, but certainly not educational. This field trip will carry over into the classroom for the next week and after the holiday break.

6 comments:

Cathryn said...

Some of my best memories from school were my field trips! I'm so glad you got to take your kids on this one--it's fabulous!

That corgi :) said...

looks like a good field trip with tons of educational opportunities! its a shame that school districts have to cut field trips but sadly the signs of the time

betty

Jen said...

That's awesome that they send you away with so much material. I love museums! I have raised my kids to appreciate museums and educational trips like that. My mom called them 'excursions' when I was growing up and my sisters and I are continuing that tradition.

Joan said...

Jen ~ I'm glad you're continuing the tradition. It has been awhile since we have taken the girls to a museum. I think we need to plan an excursion.

Urban School Teacher said...

That looks really good. I used to love trips at school.

Kathy said...

What a great trip. I agree field trips certainly aren't what they use to be that's for sure. It's always nice to throw some fun in, but the right kind of trip can be both fun and educational.