Monday, November 30, 2009

She's gone...


I have had many students leave in the middle of the year and I'm usually a little sad, but I rearrange desks, rearrange small groups, and move on. But this time, this one that has moved has left me feeling incredibly sad. I wrote about her here and called her "Precious". She had been absent Monday and Tuesday. She did not show up today and I usually call home on the third day. Before I got that chance, I got the withdrawal paper in my box. I sighed...

We were making headway. She was caught up on work and the quality was improving. She did a wonderful presentation for her country report.

I tried to call mom, the mom who yelled at me over the phone, but got no answer. I worry Precious isn't in a good place. But really, I have no idea... She was mine and I miss her.

5 comments:

That corgi :) said...

that is sad, Joan; all you can hope is that you planted a seed that she'll carry with her to her next school and hopefully there will be another caring compassionate teacher there to take a hold of that seed and continue to help her blossom

betty

Lyndsey said...

That is sad, I hate when that happens. It always amazes me how often kids come and go and some comback again through out the year. I see so many kids come in the clinic and they really tell me everything when they are in there, and some I can't imagine how they can handle their home life. We can just pray for them and hope for the best. Sorry you have to feel this way.

Cathryn said...

I feel for you Joan. It's not easy to lose a student. I lost one at the beginning of the semester and it hurts.

Jen said...

I'm sorry she is gone. I'm sure the unknown is the hardest part for you. Just remember all the ways you were able to influence her and hope it took! You did your part!!!

Theresa Milstein said...

Each year I feel like there's a student I can't reach, and they always stay with me. It leaves a lot of What ifs?

I'm sure your effort didn't go unnoticed.