Thursday, October 22, 2009

If you give a teacher her freedom...

The she will take flight and soar.

If you're familiar with the "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" book then the reference will make sense.

I got so many good comments from yesterday's post that I wanted to update a bit.

I went in today and decided to put aside the data and simply teach. I did not record PASS skills nor did I follow my lesson plan. I did not annotate every thing I covered in my small groups and how long they lasted. I simply taught.

I introduced cause and effect be reading to them "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" and had them write their own cause and effect stories in the style of that book. Then they made their own little books. It was wonderful. They were 100% engaged and if I wanted to I could probably jot down 10 PASS skills we covered (probably do that tomorrow). Their books are awesome. We have "If you give a duck a doughnut", "If you give an octopus an oreo", "If you give a tiger tea", "If you give a bear a bagel", and so many more.

Because the schedule was thrown out the window, I was able to bring six kids to my table after our math lesson on dividing decimals. In fact, until lunch, my kids came and went to my table and I helped them one on one or in small groups on math problems. Usually our schedule is so tight that I have little time to do that. English was a breeze and they were so amazing during science.

I think they felt the difference. They were so good today. They even earned "doughnut Friday", which they haven't had except for once this year.

Precious brought in work she did at home and got more done in class. She is nearly caught up. She came up and hugged me at the end of the day. I did not make a big deal out of it but my heart sang. Other than crying in my arms yesterday, she had never hugged me.

Thanks to those who wrote words of support and thank you to the veterans especially. I did talk with a colleague today and she too is a veteran. She repeated over and over to me not to lose sight of the passion I have always had for my kids and the subjects I teach.

Today, it was a good day... I did not soar, but perhaps I flew, just a little bit.

5 comments:

LightTeacher said...

You may not have soared, but you were the wind to lift those around you and they were able to soar. I read your post yesterday, but had no other comments to add...this post sounds wonderful and you are on your way to a fabulous rest of the year!

Cathryn said...

I just got home from teaching myself and read your post. I'm so glad you had a good day!! It will make all the difference!

a corgi said...

so glad the day was a good one Joan! sounds like a cute lesson plan you did with the take off from If You Give a Mouse a Cookie (or a moose a muffin :)

betty

Sandy said...

So glad that I found your blog and read this post. I'll be back. We might be in the same meeting someday.I'm here teaching in Oklahoma, too.

Okie Book Woman said...

I'm so glad to read this post! Keep that passion!