Thursday, September 24, 2009

Just another day in paradise...or room 610

We have been back at it for about a month now and I think we are melding as a class. The fusion took longer this year than I am used to, but it's happening.


They are fired up about Egypt, the Nile River, Pharaohs and pyramids.


We're building our word wall with "wondrous words".


They are making good use of spellingcity.com.


Grammar lessons are on hold for a week while we enter the writing phase. First they will write a personal narrative. Then they will make it into a small book. Finally I will spend an entire weekend reading 24 five paragraph essays. Oh boy! For the curious, yes, we did just complete our grammar unit in sentences and time order words were the last part of our lesson.


I think these two boys are mad at each other. They keep building walls...



I'm digging the projector and the huge screen despite the stupid place they hung it. My students were drawing on the white boards we got from our last donorschoose.org project. They were making graphs.



The best thing about my day is this little 5th grader who gets to come have lunch with me. I like that...


4 comments:

a corgi said...

looks like it will be a successful school year; off to a great start!

betty

Kathy said...

Teaching is so much work, but the rewards are OH SO great. Thank you for all you do....you are a very special bunch!

Lyndsey said...

Looks like things are moving along. What grade do you teach? Does the elementary schools go to 5th or 6th grade. Ours go through 5th, I'm not used to that (well... I am now after 8 years).

Joan said...

Lindsey, our school is an upper elementary. We have 4-6 in our building. I teach 6th.