Monday, August 24, 2009

We're on fire!

Not really, just felt like it. Summer in Oklahoma is hot and teaching without air conditioning is next to impossible. The system broke today and the inside temps steadily rose. When the kids came in from recess it was sweltering and they were already hot. I threw out the lesson plans, allowed them to work in buddy pairs on vocabulary, and made sure everyone had a folder to use as a fan. We got through it.

When I got home my pool was finished. I said a little prayer of gratitude and jumped in...


3 comments:

Manda said...

You don't have A/C? Yikes!

Wishing you cooler weather and dream of ice cubes...

a corgi said...

never makes sense to me why sometimes they start school so early in August; when I was growing up we started after Labor Day and got out third week of June. Hot weather hadn't descended yet in June and was subsiding in September.

when my kids were in school in Montana, they started last Wednesday of August. It was always hot and most, if not all, schools didn't have air conditioning. They got out right after Memorial Day. No joke, consistently those first two weeks of June was cold, cloudy, rainy weather. I wondered why they didn't let the kids go two weeks longer in June and start back after Labor Day when things cooled down

pool does like nice :)

betty

The Redhead Riter said...

Always makes me wonder why we pay so much taxes and yet the temperature isn't ever right in the winter or summer at our schools. DRIVES ME CRAZY!